Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Trader Joe's Organic Brown Rice Marshmallow Treats

I was a big fan of Rice Crispy Treats and I am really bummed out that they are not gluten free. I know that Rice Chex treats are even more delicious (OK, my opinion) but I liked the convenience of unwrapping that blue, sinful package and indulging in some yummy goodness! My mother came home with from Trader Joe's recently with a box of ORGANIC BROWN RICE MARSHMALLOW TREATS! I was so excited I couldn't wait to try them! Plus, the box advertises that it is gluten free, vegan, free from high fructose corn syrup and low in sodium! Sounds like a winner...right?

The Review:

These caught my eye before dinner and I wanted to try them so badly. However, I had to follow the advice that I now give my own child and I resisted the urge to eat sweets before dinner. I quickly ate my dinner and waited until I was no longer full. I unwrapped the package and noticed a funky smell coming from the treat. Hum...did I want to eat this? I was committed. I had already unwrapped it and the curiosity was already too high, I had to find out if it tasted like those treats I once loved so much. I bit in expecting ecstasy and all I got was a nastiness with a kicking after taste. Yuck. I was not feeling nostalgic one bit. Maybe that smell was a warning? I should have known better.

The Verdict:

The Stats:
Serving Size: 1 Bar
Calories :100
Total Fat: 2.5 grams
Carbs: 18 grams
Protein: less than 1

2 comments:

Katie said...

I came to the same conclusion also. It was sad because I really wanted these to be great since I can't eat regular rice krispie treats either (I'm vegetarian and they have marshmallows, which have gelatin). I'm slowly coming to the realization that some Trader Joe's products are not as good as the others.

danakscully64 said...

These taste almost exactly like the pre-made Rice Krispy Treats, not like homemade. I still like them, a lot actually. These get a thumbs up from me.