I have been eying the Glutino brand Gluten Free Breadsticks every time I go to the supermarket but I couldn't justify paying over five dollars for it. I had mentioned it to my boyfriend one of the last times we were at the store together and he told me I should just go for it because I don't get to eat food like this anymore.
I was taking my son to the park and on the way there I went to the store and picked up a box. I decided to make Italian for dinner so I would have an excuse to eat them!
I served them with brown rice penne, meat balls and tomato sauce. The breadsticks are pizza flavored and very crunchy. They are a great addition to a meal. I will say though that they are small, the serving size is 9 sticks...I didn't eat the serving size because I was full fast. I ate about 5.
The verdict on the Glutino Gluten Free Breadsticks:
Serving Size: 9 sticks
Total Fat: 1
Total Carbs: 12 grams
Meatballs were made from a recipe from Gluten-Free Quick & Easy by Carol Fenster, Ph.D.
However, I didn't use the gluten free breadcrumbs because I was trying to reduce the calorie count but the recipe from the book sounds amazing!
- 1 pound raw lean ground beef, or use half ground beef and half ground pork
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 cup gluten free breadcrumbs (I didn't use)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 dried basil
- 1/2 dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese (didn't have, so I didn't use)